Welcome to the Pals Blog Hop for May 2017. We are thankful you stopped by to take a look at our 2017 Blog Hop monthly themes. This month we are featuring projects that are “stepped up” by using textures or fun techniques. We hope to provide you with lots of ideas and that you enjoy our creations.
You may just be starting the Blog Hop or may have come from the previous link from the Line-up on the Pals Blog Hop listing shown below. The full lineup will help you move along from blog to blog so you may see all the projects.
Two years ago, we had the opportunity to visit Churchill Downs a few weeks after American Pharoah won the Triple Crown. American Pharoah had actually just returned to the stables at Churchill Downs about five days before we arrived there. Churchill Downs is an amazing place with rich history and traditions; it’s definitely worth a visit! To learn more about the history of the Kentucky Derby, click here.
This month my project is inspired by the silks worn by John R. Velazquez, the jockey riding Always Dreaming, the recent 143rd Kentucky Derby winner. While the actual silks worn were yellow and blue, the colors often appeared to me as if they were Lemon Lime Twist and royal blue on the television broadcast of the race. So, I have chosen Lemon Lime Twist and Pacific Point to use in my card today. If you’re interested in learning more about the history of horse-racing silks, click here. Have a look at today’s card.
The three diamond shapes were cut using dies from the new Eastern Medallions Thinlits and represent each of the three races that make up the famous Triple Crown. I used the splatter stamp from the Touches of Texture stamp set to represent the conditions of the track at Churchill Downs on Saturday, which was a bit muddy. I added the small flowers from the new Seasonal Layers Thinlits to represent the Kentucky Oaks race for the Fillies which was run on Friday at Churchill Downs, with Abel Tasman finishing first in this race.
I like to add layers of paper to my cards, separating layers with Stampin’ Dimensionals. After cutting my cardstock, I started by stamping the splatter stamp onto a piece of 3-7/8″x5-1/8″ Lemon Lime Twist cardstock, then I ran this piece through my Big Shot using the Sparkle Textured Impressions Embossing Folder. This piece was then adhered to a 4″x5-1/4″ piece of Pacific Point cardstock. I tied a ribbon around the lower portion of the card using the new 1/4″ Stitched-Edge Ribbon in Pacific Point. I applied Stampin’ Dimensionals to the back, then adhered to the Lemon Lime Twist card base. Next, I applied my fancy diamond shapes using Stampin’ Dimensionals and then stamped “Congratulations” in Basic Black ink. Finally, I adhered the small flowers using Mini Glue Dots. You can find a full list of the supplies used at the bottom of my post.
Before you continue on your Blog Hop journey, I would love for you to leave me some feedback on today’s post and projects in the comment box below. What type of texture do you like to add to your projects or share a favorite technique. Please subscribe to my blog while you’re here by clicking on the Follow Me Now link to the right. You can also follow me on Pinterest here, Facebook here, Twitter here, or Tumbler here.
Thanks for visiting. To continue with the hop, please refer to the Blog Hop Line-up below. We hope to see you on next month’s Pals Blog Hop!
Blog Hop Line-up:
- Mary Fish at Stampin’ Pretty
- Beth McCullough at Stamping Mom
- Karen Gooch at Inker’s Workshop
- Nicole Watt at Pixel Maven’s Retreat
- Julie DiMatteo at The Paper Pixie
- Lynn Tague at Beyond Beaches & Blessings
- Pamela Sadler at Stampin Pink Rose
- Peggy Noe at Prettypapercards
- Susan Itell at Simple Stampin
- Jeanie Stark at Just Stampin’
- Stesha Bloodhart at Stampin’ Hoot!
- Debbie Mageed at Secret Stamper
- Jackie Beers at Blue Line Stamping
- Karen Hallam at Karen’s Stampin’ Habit!
- Becky Retzer at Just in Thyme
- Patti MacLeith at Papercrafts by Patti
- Karen Zaring Browning at Stamp With Me KZB
- Jennifer Michalski at Stamping Serenity
- Wendy Klein at Doggone Delightful Stampin’
- Lisa Pretto at InkBig Academy Stamps
- Rae Harper-Burnet at Wild West Paper Arts
- Angela Curry at Kindred Stampers
- Shawn de Oliveira at ShawnStamps.com
Supplies used in today’s card include the following:
New products from the 2017-2018 Annual Catalog (coming June 1):
- Lemon Lime Twist Cardstock and Classic Ink Pad
- 1/4″ Stitched-Edge Ribbon in Pacific Point
- Colorful Seasons photopolymer stamp set (sentiment)
- Seasonal Layers Thinlits (flowers)
- Eastern Medallions Thinlits (fancy diamond shapes)